This recipe reminds me so much of home. I’m swiss and I grew up in Switzerland. But my dad migrated from Croatia and my mom from Bosnia. This makes me croatian and swiss.
My mom is an amazing cook and made everything from scratch. We would always cook together and she would teach me traditional croatian and bosnian dishes. Meat is a big part of this culture but there are a lot of dishes you can veganize by just not adding meat.
‘Pita’ is a really traditional dish in Bosnia. It’s not the greek bread you know but rather a filo pastry filled with potaoes, meat, spinach you name it. The pita filled with potatoes happens to be vegan, which is amazing. You do not need to change anything.
The following recipe is my moms, which she handed to me. And her mom teached my mom. Each family has a different way of rolling out the dough, or using different ingredients for the filling. I hope you like this version and try it out.
If you do not want to make your own filo pastry, you can just buy it and fill it the same way!
- 400 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 200 ml lukewarm water
- 1.3 kg potatoes
- 2 onions
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Put the flour, the salt and oil in a big bowl. Gradually add the water and mix it with your hands. You may need less or more water. The dough should come together but not 'feel' super hard.
- Flour your countertop and add the dough. Knead it with your hands for ten minutes until the dough is stretchy and smooth. It helps when you smash it on the countertop and stretch it. Divide it into three balls.
- Let the dough rest for at least 20 minutes or until you prepared the filling.
- Rinse the potatoes and peel them. Afterwards cut them up into super small squares. Add them to a bowl with the finely cut onions and salt and pepper.
- After your dough has been resting for roughly 20 minutes, you have to roll it out extremely thin. You should be able to see your hand through the dough. There are a couple of techniques. You can check out some videos on youtube for tips.
- Cut the rolled out dough in half, add a tiny bit of oil to both sides and put a third of the filling on the two pieces. Roll it into a sausage and cut it again in half. Add it to a nonstick baking sheet. Repeat this with the rest.
- Bake the pita in the preheated 200°C oven for 50 minutes or until the top gets golden brown.
- After the cooking time, turn off the oven and pour over 200 ml of lukewarm water with a pinch of salt. Let it steam in the turned off oven for 5 minutes. This step is crucial otherwise your pita will be extremely dry.
- Now you can cut up the pita and enjoy it with some vegan joghurt and a side salad.