Zimtsterne ist the German word for cinnamon-stars. Another gluten free recipe that will blow your mind. These cookies are really popular in Switzerland and widely available to buy but unfortunately not in a vegan version. I just swapped the eggs with water and it worked fine. Let me know, if you have a good substitute for this recipe.
**makes 1 full backing sheet
for the dough
- 200 g powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 350 g ground almonds
- pinch of salt
- 1 tpsp lemon juice
- approx. 8 tpbs water
for the glaze
- 5 tpsb powdered sugar
- Sift the powdered sugar in a bowl. Add the cinnamon, ground almonds and salt. Combine the dry ingredients.
- Slowly add the water and lemon juice to the bowl. With your hands form it to a dough. The dough will be really sticky.
- Wrap it up and slightly flatten it into a disc shape. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before rolling out.
- Lightly sugar a counter surface and roll it about 1 cm thick. Pro Tip: Roll the dough between wax paper to prevent it from sticking.
- Cut out as many star cookies as you can until there’s only a scrap of dough left which you can discard.
- Place the cookies onto a parchment lined baking sheet and let them harden for at least 5 hours, preferably overnight, in room temperature.
- Mix the ingredients for the glaze. Just add a little bit of water at the time so it comes together. Brush it over the hardened cookies.
- Bake them in the preheated 240°C oven for 6-8 minutes.
- Remove them right away onto wire racks to cool completely.