My favorite cake at the moment is carrot cake! I used to think it is hard to veganize cakes, pies and cookies. But it is actually really easy. This recipe for example does not have any butter inside. You only have to find a replacement for eggs. I tried it with flaxseed and apple sauce. Both works really well.
*makes 1 loaf
for the cake:
- 120 ml apple sauce
- 200 g raw sugar
- 150 ml sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 250 g flour (you can also use a mixture of spelt flour and whole wheat flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp mixed spice (or 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg)
- 250 g finely grated carrot
- 50 g crushed pineapple
- 50 g walnuts
- 50 g desiccated coconut
for the icing:
- 1 can coconut milk (400 ml)
- powdered sugar to taste
- 1 vanilla pod
- Mix together the ground flaxseed and water and set aside in the fridge for about 10 minutes to allow it to thicken.
- Preheat the oven to 180° celsius.
- Whisk together the brown sugar, oil, flaxseed-mixture (or apple sauce) and vanilla powder.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt and mixed spice.
- Gently fold in the grated carrot. Optional: I like to add crushed pineapple, chopped walnuts and desiccated coconut.
- If the mixture is too thick, add some almond milk to loosen it.
- Put it in a loaf pan and bake it for 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- The icing is optional: Add the solid part of the coconut milk to a bowl and mix it with powdered sugar until smooth and thick. Add the seeds from a vanilla pod and decorate the cake as desired.