This is the perfect dish to serve your cheese-loving friends. It is so creamy your friends will not know it’s vegan. You can add some more veggies for example broccoli, kale or tomatoes or use gluten free pasta. I also like to put sun dried tomatoes in the cheese sauce. Make it your own and tell me how you like it.
**makes 4 – 6 servings
for the cashew cream
- 200 g raw cashews (soaked for 4 hours or overnight)
- 200 ml cold water
for the cheese sauce
- 400 ml vegetable broth
- 3 tsp miso paste
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- salt, pepper to taste
- 120 g vegan cheese (optional)
for the pasta
- 300 g macaroni noodles
- 60 g frozen peas
- 1 tsp paprika
- approx. 60 ml vegetable broth
for the topping
- 150 g ciabatta or sourdough bread
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- In a large pot, cook the pasta in salt water until al dente. Meanwhile make the sauce.
- To make the cashew cream blend the soaked cashews and water in a high speed blender. If it is too thick, add a little more water.
- In a small pot over medium heat add the vegetable broth and the miso paste and stir until smooth. Lower the heat and add the cashew cream, garlic and onion powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook the sauce for additional 5 minutes until smooth and thick. Add vegan cheese, if you like.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Mix the ingredients for the topping in a blender or food processor, set aside.
- Stir together the pasta, cheese sauce and peas and season with paprika. If you think the mixture is too thick, add another 60 ml of vegetable broth.
- Pour the mixture in a 17 x 25 cm baking dish, add the breadcrumbs on top and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.